Quality wine is a strictly regulated Austrian wine category that, according to wine law, must meet the following criteria:
– the grapes must come from a wine-growing region
– the must weight must be at least 15° KMW
– the maximum yield per hectare is limited to 9,000 kg or 6,750 liters of wine
– the alcohol content must be at least 9% vol.
– Quality wine must have undergone chemical analysis and sensory testing by a tasting commission.
Austrian quality wine can be recognized by the red-white-red banderole and the state test number on the label.